About Us

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Dental School In the Middle

  Being in dental school has quickly become an exhilarating, yet exhausting ride. I'm in my third year out of four at UNLV and this semester has been amazing. The first two years were spent in the classroom and now we're seeing patients every day. Dental school has changed since 1987, but a lot has stayed the same. In a class of 75 there are only 20 female students, we still rely on patients in order to pass our clinic sessions, and dentistry is still an exciting profession..Technology has transformed the profession and the student experience. All of our textbooks are on our computers and assignments can be submitted electronically. We have simulated mannequins that we use the first two years to practice drilling on plastic teeth. Yes, plastic teeth and mannequins connected with suction that allow us to create a semi real life experience.
 Fortunately, I am out of the sim lab and in the clinic 9-5 most days. I find myself mimicking both of my parents while talking to patients and how I approach dental procedures. They have been extraordinary mentors throughout my life and I look forward to joining their profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment