About Us

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Formative years

Why would anyone want to be a dentist ? This is a great question, and of course with all great questions there are usually many great and different answers.  My path began in those great formative years of early teens.  I was 13 when I started with braces. I was at an age that Mom could leave me alone at the orthodontist office, so she could chase after other siblings and chores.

I spent a bit of time at the orthodontist and began to think this might be a fun and rewarding job.  To be honest at the ripe old age of 13, what I really liked about the idea of dentistry were the hours and the chance to work with cute girls that seemed fun to be around.

In high school,  I took a few classes to prepare me for what lied ahead in the dental world, such as chemistry and biology. However, I wasn't completely yet sure this was the right path for me.  I joined the Navy at the age of 18 as a dental technician to explore this career path before committing eight years to college and dental school.  In the Navy, I learned  that I did have the skill set to do the dentistry and also the passion to help others improve their oral health.

To use a nautical term, I set sail on the journey of becoming a dentist. I can say that I am truly happy that I choose to become a dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment